Thursday, June 13, 2013

When you hear the word Coachable what comes to your mind?

I know If I was asked this question years ago, I would say this has to do with coaching a basketball team. :) I love playing basketball and now I even coach boy's basketball for middle and high school.

But what does coachable mean?

Not only as a basketball coach but as an network professional I have realized that in order to become coachable you would have to be approachable. In other words, you have to be willing to let people come into your life. You have to be willing to let people talk into your life, perhaps have people tell you what you don't want to hear but are things that you need to hear. When I think about a person who is not coachable, I think of a person who is not willing to listen and correct his/her error or mistakes to get better.

But when I get around a coachable, approachable person I feel like sharing with them because they know that I'm not trying to hurt them, but I'm trying to help them.  It's like the work of a surgeon, yes! surgery perhaps hurts a little bit, but it's designed not to hurt you it's designed to help you.  There is always the hurt before the help. The coachable person understands that and are mature enough to say

Ok a little hurt today is worth it for a lot of help tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment